What are dental implants?
If you have lost one or more teeth and don’t like the prospect of wearing a denture or having teeth cut down to make conventional bridges, there is hope. National Periodontics have been placing dental implants in Adelaide and across Australia for the last 15 years. Dental implants are changing the quality of our lives! They are designed to replace a missing tooth or teeth so that they look, feel, and function like natural teeth. We find patients who have lost teeth regain the ability to eat virtually anything and smile with confidence knowing that their teeth appear natural and that facial features are preserved.
Dental implants are designed to replace a missing tooth or teeth and provide the foundation that support teeth that will look, feel, and chew like natural teeth.
The implants are screws made from titanium that are placed surgically into the jawbone and once these heal or mesh with the bone, these titanium screws are the stable anchors for which artificial teeth can be attached.
Dental implants also help preserve facial features and prevent further bone deterioration that occurs naturally once teeth are lost.
Levels of dental implant treatment
Single tooth dental implant where one missing tooth is replaced with an implant and then restored with a crown.
Multiple implants which are individually placed and then restored with crowns.
Multiple implants which may be used as supports to fit permanently fixed bridges – these are also sometimes referred to as “all on four” dental implants although sometimes more than four implants are used in each jaw
Also designed to stabilise and retain loose dentures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nearly everyone can benefit with dental implants.
Costs vary significantly in relation to individual requirements. It is important that we understand your dental history, lifestyle and expectations before we can plan a treatment to meet your needs.
We provide excellence through predictable and ethical treatment and will tailor an implant treatment specific and unique for you. All costs will be discussed in advance of your treatment.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth and they become a permanent fixture.
- Improved speech. Dental implants allow you to speak clearly and laugh with complete confidence.
- Improved comfort and eating. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat and enjoy the textures and flavours of your favourite foods.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your confidence and smile.
- Conservative treatment. The placement of dental implants is often described as conservative dental treatment because the adjacent tooth or teeth are not affected as compared to conventional bridge work. Conventional crown or bridgework requires the cutting and reduction of teeth to accommodate the seating of the bridge fixture.
Well-maintained dental implants can last a lifetime. Studies show that with proper care, implants have a success rate of up to 96 – 98%.